Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Five

It's kind of hard to tell from this picture, but the jacket is radiantly day-glow yellow with a kind of shimmery opalescent silver reflective material in the stripes with a large rectangle of reflective stuff on the back that is big enough of five big block letters. (Perhaps six, but one of them would have to be an "I" or an "l" in lower case.)

After last week's incident in Teddington my friends, concerned for my safety and well-being, decided I needed to get a bright riding jacket. This, apparently, they found at a jumble and would suit the bill quite nicely. It's nice to have friends who worry about you. I have to say, it is bright!

And the jacket seems to be doing the trick. The fist time I wore it, the drivers around me seemed to be far more accommodating. The first time I wore it, one car followed me all the way down Summer Road to the roundabout rather than just passing me in the curve as drivers here are, for some reason, wont to do.

It's nice getting a little respect from the other people using the roads. For some reason, I have yet to suss-out fully, children seem to have this urge to salute me when I am wearing it. Hmmm...

I hope that today, someone gives you the respect you deserve!

Don Bergquist - 11-April-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you coming home? Are you planning to be at Grampa's Memorial Day reunion? I haven't gotten plane tickets yet or checked with my director, but I think I'll be able to take a rehearsal or two off from the show I'm doing this summer... we shall see! Hope you day is proving to be fantastic... or your sleep, I guess!

Unknown said...

Sarah,

I leave Thames Ditton Sunday Morning around 09:00 and should be back at my home in Lakewood, Colorado by around midnight. (Both times local - about 22 hours door-to-door.)

I will be at Granddad's if I am in the states that weekend. I hope to see you there!

Oh, and yes! I had a great day yesterday and a good sleep last night.

- djb