Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Chess Board Showers

There is a weather phenomenon here that I just find the funniest thing: Checker Board Showers. I have no idea what they call them here, but that is my name for them. They are characterized by the weather being highly localized. For example, I live not half-a-mile from the office and it can be lovely and sunny at home but be pouring down rain here at the office when I arrive.

How does one prepare for such immediate and drastic changes in the local climate? I guess if I lived here I would learn to leave a set of clean and dry clothing hanging at the office.

I was talking to my sister about this last weekend and she reminded me that my rearing in Florida should have prepared me for this. I guess she is right. I remember when I was a kid, it could be raining on one side of the street and sunny on the other. Like that guy from the comic strips always walking around under a rain cloud.

Which reminded us of the times we used to go camping at Juniper Springs and leave the campsite when it was sunny and hot and get to the swimming spring and it be pouring. Why is it we don't go swimming in the rain? Are we afraid of getting wet?

I know this is a bit of stream-of-consciousness today but it is like the stream that is dripping off my wet hair onto the desk. I really should look for a way to dry off a bit.

H hope that wherever you are today you are warm and dry!

Don Bergquist - 05-April-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: