Sunday, December 05, 2010

Irony

In Dave Barry's The Only Travel Guide you'll ever need By Dave Barry, the observation is made that "A hundred years ago, it could take you the better part of a year to get from New York to California; whereas today, because of equipment problems at O’Hare, you can't get there at all."

This little piece of irony came back to me last night when I arrived at my folks' place in Kensington. It was almost exactly twenty-four-hours after I had left my home in Lakewood, and basically it was a couple hours more than it would have been (usually) had I driven it.

Of course, as Dad pointed out, due to the weather I would not have made it driving and the whole irony falls down. But it still seems to me that in these days of modern travel conveniences we still are at the mercy of the weather. So as Will Rogers observed: Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it!

Wherever you are today, I hope that your day will be lovely and Irony-Free!

Don Berguist - December 05, 2010 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: