Saturday, December 11, 2010

C-C-C Come-on!

I had to shake my head, reach for the remote, and hit rewind. I was sure that I had misheard it!

Granted, I had my back to the television. I was listening to the TV while getting things reloaded on my PC. It is amazing what a HUGE amount of work it is even if you have full backups of everything! So I really wasn’t listening all that closely when I heard the familiar perennial commercial jingle come on.

(music playing) “Ch-ch-ch Chia!”

But then the text and music changed to talk of American history and how proud you’ll be, collecting the US Presidential Chia Pets. I am still laughing thinking of it. These things were tacky in the seventies, laughable in the eighties, dated in the nineties, now they are once again the source of derision for the 2010 Christmas season!

If you want to give someone a gift that is patriotic and educational, the commercial promises you cannot go wrong with Chia Washington, or any of the Chia Presidents! (…or the Chia Statue of Liberty with the glowing torch of freedom!)

I hope that wherever you are today, you’ll come across something that makes you chuckle!

Don Bergquist – December 11, 2010 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: