Sunday, December 04, 2005

On Why I Would Make A Horrible Parent

I knew it would happen, I have weenied-out!

I thought that I could hold-up, under the constant onslaught, I caved. I have no idea how Dad and Mom did it! They had four to deal with and I have only me and I still couldn't hold my position! I crumpled like a stale taco!

I am, of course talking about my incessant internal child who has been begging and pleading with me to buy him a new camera. A couple weeks ago, I wrote about how I was always complaining to myself that I never buy myself anything. (See: "Morning In Florida" - 17-November-2005 in the November Archive.)

After listening to the internal whining for a bit over a year, I have finally capitulated. (Capitulated?!? Hell, I caved!)

I purchased myself the camera I have been looking at. I even went myself one better and got myself a nice set of zoom lenses to go with it. To be fair, I would never have done so had I not been so good of late. (No, Really! I have been doing the dishes, and taking out the trash without an argument, and when I tell myself to go to bed, Pfthth! I go! And I get no lip on the subject!)

So I bought the Pentax Digital SLR that I have been wanting. I found it on sale and had a $100 off coupon that allowed me to afford the lenses as well. I looked at one lens (I need a fairly good telephoto lens to do some shots that I want to do but they are all pretty expensive.) the one that I found first was about $300.00. I then found this set of two for about $200.00 and could not resist.

Okay, and there was an ulterior motive. My friend Michael (who is, admittedly, a much better photographer than I) has a really nice camera. I have kidded myself the camera is all I need to be as good as he is.

I have decided to rationalize this purchase by calling it my Christmas gift to myself. So if you see me, don't tell me! It's a surprise.

Be nice to yourself today!

Don Bergquist - 04-December-2005 - Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: