Friday, December 30, 2005

Reflections on the End of the Year

A friend of mine once told me that he made sure to always kiss his wife on the stroke of midnight every New Year's Eve. His family had the superstition that whatever you are doing when the year ends you will do frequently in the year to come.

I guess this is a good thing to hold on to. It is kind of sweet to think of the two of them kissing so that they are guaranteed many pleasant stolen moments in the new year.

This year, I plan to end the year with a toast. Probably with a pint of Tangle Foot, in The Kings Arms. Ending the year with a proper pint of British ale, in an English pub, with friends around to assure that I will be doing it often throughout 2006 sounds like a great idea to me. (Whether or not it assures that there will be many more pints in the coming year, it still sounds like a good idea.

Of course, it means that if successful, the year will also be a wet, cold, and dank one. But I suppose that is the price one pays!

I hope that you are making spectacular plans for your New Year's Eve. And on the off-chance that my friend's superstition is correct, make sure that you are doing something you love with the people you want to be with when the ball drops!

Don Bergquist - 30-December-2005 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: