Monday, December 26, 2005

Boxing Day

I just love the phrase "Boxing Day."

When I first heard it I assumed it was the official pugilistic holiday.

I first heard of the feast of St. Stephen (the day after Christmas) being called boxing day about fifteen years ago when I first went to Canada on business around this time of the year. They celebrate Boxing Day as a public holiday although, nobody could tell me why or what it was all about.

Having done some research, apparently nobody else really knows what it is all about either. The link at the top of this entry will take you to the Wikipedia entry on Boxing Day.

I do however know what this boxing day is about. This Boxing Day is about thirty-six hours long! Following my tradition of getting onto the London time zone before I go there, I awoke at 01:00 AM (MDT) so I could say that I slept in. That would be 08:00 AM London Time.

I used the extra time this morning to spend time with Saga, finish packing, spend time with Saga, watch some TV, and spend some time with Saga. It is now just ten in the morning and I know that I am going to miss her when I go to the UK. Oh well...

I do not anticipate much problem sleeping (if I can get over the fact that I do not sleep well on planes) because I have upgraded myself (using my frequent flier miles) to first class. I also have a book that I found in my library that I (surprisingly) have never read!

Well, I have just over an hour until the van arrives to take me to the airport. I guess I had best get ready to go.


(...and spend some more time with Saga!)

I hope that wherever you are today you are having a great Boxing Day!

Don Bergquist - 26-December-2005 - Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: