Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

George Bush has all but ruined my favorite Christmas Carol.

For years, my favorite Christmas Carol was the Henry Wordsworth Longfellow poem set to music: I Heard The Bells. When the president quoted the poem last weekend in his press conference and used it as an assurance that the war on terror - or whatever he wants us to call it these days - is valid I was livid! How could he despoil such a wonderful tune with such lovely words by using it to justify his unprovoked attack on Iraq?

Damn it!

The war continues to be a war in search of a justification. At least, I thought, it would keep him from using the attacks of 09/11/2001 as justification of the war. Never to fear! He did that too - only a couple sentences later.

I guess I should take a hint from the carol, this too will pass. The wrong shall fail!

This Christmas finds me packing for another trip to London. I leave tomorrow morning for an extended trip to the Thames Ditton Office. I look forward to spending more time with my friends in the United Kingdom. I had dinner last night (and the two nights before as well) with some friends here as a sort-of bon voyage celebration. Today has nothing more in store than to call family, finish packing and write thank you cards. I guess I will drop them in the mail at the airport tomorrow.

In the spirit of the season:

I Heard the Bells
on Christmas Day

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet the words repeat,
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had roll'd along th' unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

'Til ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!

It is Christmas Day once again. I wish you all a Merry Christmas or a happy holiday of your own choice and a Happy New Year!

Don Bergquist - 25-December-2005 - Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: