Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sureality Check

It is not as if we are (with no slur intended to any actual town of this name, I reference it only a the epitome of the small town in America - something to be proud of) in Podunk! For gods' sake! We are within shouting distance of the largest metropolis in America. We are in the home of a dozen high tech companies. Why is transportation so damn backward here!?

It was the third time I called for a cab in this town and the third time they had no method of taking a credit card as payment! Admittedly, the third cab didn't show up until it was 35 minutes late and until my colleague's wife had come to get us, but we saw it arrive and it was a black cab.

According to the cabbie that I had taken to the train station on Saturday, it is only the White cabs from his company that carry card readers. (A fact I found odd as two of the black cabs I had been in had Visa stickers in the window.

C'mon, people! It is not as if we are in the third world here! Credit cards are safer to carry than cash and it is easier to do expenses that way as well! I have been to some truly remote locations and outside of New Jersey, I cannot remember the last time I had to pay cash in a cab! I just cannot believe how backward their transportation providers are here!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you are afforded all the luxuries of home!

Don Bergquist - August 27, 2014 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: