Monday, August 04, 2014

BEACH TIME!



Well, Ancient Beach Time...

This weekend's hike was along the Fox Hills formation in Lakewood - Long have I seen these strange, white, sandstone hills and wondered at their origin. This weekend, my friend who is teaching me geology took me on a hike along the formation and discussed it with me.

Unlike the Dakota Formation to the west, these hills were once an ancient sea shore. This former beach is a loosely cemented patch of sand that pops-out of the landscape here and there... it is very easily wiped away (one need only rub your hand against it to have grains of ancient beach sand fall off) and impressive - once you know what you are looking at.

Wherever you are today, I hope your day is full of wonder and discovery.

Don Bergquist - August 04, 2014 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA


No comments: