Saturday, January 19, 2013

Travelogue: London - Time Dilation


I understand the artificial sense of time dilation that flying give me... and it's not just the flying through the time zones that I am talking about... it's the comparison to other forms of travel that caught my attention. Allow me to explain…

It is currently 01:21 in London 18:21 back in Denver and we're passing over Kearney, Nebraska. I set my screen to the flight path channel when I got on the plane and have been watching the progress of our flight in the periphery of my attention since they allowed me to turn back on my tablet. I was reading the book that I brought for the flight and the word "Kearney" caught my attention.

Wow! That is a six-hour drive from home and we have covered the distance in the forty minutes since we left the gate! Granted. We're flying the grand arch so we're not restricted to where the interstate goes, and we're traveling WAY faster than I ever would (or could) in my hybrid.... But still!

So, having seen that Kearney was below us, I thought to myself that this was as good a place as any to start my travelogue. We're due to make excellent time this evening as we have a strong tailwind. They are estimating that we will arrive in London almost 40 minutes ahead of schedule. Cool!

That should make-up for the fact that I will probably not sleep a wink tonight. I am enjoying a G&T right now and will probably have a red wine with dinner - perhaps; having been up since two this morning (Denver Time) will pay off and help me drift off a while. If not...

Well, after this book, I have HOURS of films to watch stored on the memory chip in my Tablet.

And the iPod is charged for hours of play. As I write this (and notice that we are now coming-up on Lincoln, Nebraska) I am listening to Glenn Miller, In The Mood.

Wherever you are this evening, I hope that your plans are swinging right along!

Don Bergquist - 19 January 2013 - Aboard British Airways Flight 218 Somewhere over Iowa (by now...)

No comments: