Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Travelogue: London - Dining



The neighborhood we are staying in (on the border of Kilburn and Maida Vale) has changed a bit since last I was here. I had to look this up, but it has actually been about a year! The nice little gastro-pub in the next block is now a night club of some sort; at least, I assume that it is a night club. I have never actually seen it in use, but then I do not go out late in the evenings as much as once I did.

Were it to actually be a nightclub, (instead of some derelict business, it has the perfect look for it. Its windows have been obstructed by brick walls built just inside them and the whole facade has been painted over in black with a garish neon sign centered across the whole of the front advertising its new name. In style, it falls somewhere between undertaker and discotheque.

But the bigger change is that the lovely little Italian place across the road has been replaced by an Afghan restaurant. None of us had ever had Afghani food and, after our first day of class, none of us was really looking to walk all over town looking for something for dinner so we gave it a try! Uranus is a really good restaurant!

I had a lovely lamb dish covered in herbed basmati rice and topped with a sauce including shredded carrots and raisins. It was amazing! But the winner at the table was a colleague that got a dish similar to ravioli in a garlic/buttery sauce that was topped with some green herbs and spinach. I am going to have to try that one the next time we visit.

Classes, as I have said, started today and the instructor moves a bit fast, but there is a lot to cover in three days. For now, I believe it is time to shut-down the journal and get some sleep.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have had a productive day!

Don Bergquist - 22 January 2013 - Maida Vale, London, United Kingdom

No comments: