Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Vortex


I have yet to understand it; but this place, more than any other home I have ever spent significant time in, seem to emanate pure relaxation. There seems to be some vortex here that serves to suck the desire to do anything active out of one. Unless you bring work with you to do, it seems that the time of day has no meaning here.

It’s not like the beach house, where there is always something going on, and even when one naps, it is only to refill the reserves so that you can make another trek down to the beach for a romp in the waves. There are no “forced marches” and even the games here seem to be more a thing fallen into than a thing actively arranged.

I am not sure if this relaxation vortex is a good or a bad thing. This morning, when I awoke and looked at the clock, I was not even sure what day it was. I have only been here three days and already, time is blurring into meaninglessness.

Perhaps part of that is relief that Dad seems to be on the mend from his procedure on Friday. He is puttering around in the kitchen at the moment. He has gotten up to get coffee; he moves slowly, but with all the determination of a man driven!

He is eating well and with very little distress.

Flo and I will be going into town shortly – our trip yesterday never happened. It was a victim of the vortex. We kept meaning to go, and then she would start on some random project and eschew any offers of help so I would start to read, or play cards with dad. Before anyone realized, we were eating dinner and discussing whether Dad had a couple rounds of Whist left in his energy pool for the evening.

Perhaps we’ll actually make it today – perhaps not. Perhaps it doesn’t matter. The only real thing that matters is that we are all spending a pleasant visit and that I have a flight on Thursday that I must make – lest the vortex get me for good!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you’re able to relax and enjoy your weekend!

Don Bergquist – December 23, 2012 – Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: