Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Day


The gifts are all given; the mess has all been managed; and after all is said and done, what remains is the love the family has for each other to bask in. The glow from the heart out-warms the glow from the hearth.

We had quorum with my brothers and their families in attendance, me and my folks rounded out the attendants here in Minnesota. Mary and Corey joined from Florida via Skype, so we were all here in spirit if not in person.

The house is, for the most part, quiet this morning. Dad is snoozing on the couch with the early morning news playing in the background. Flo has gone back to be for her morning lie-in, and I have the office to myself to check email and catch-up with my friends. It is, from my point of view, brutally cold outside, even the negative number on the thermometer is “only” in the single digits, any minus sign – to a native Floridian – just looks wrong there. I will be donning many layers later when it is time to get ready to head up to the farm!

For now, the dog is demanding that I pet her, and the house is warm – well warm enough, I have to assume that the chill I feel is largely psychosomatic and caused by all the white and ice that surrounds me. I can see it, so the mind assumes I can feel the chill of it!

Wherever you are today, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and hope that you are with your family and loved ones!

Don Bergquist – December 25, 2012 – Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: