Thursday, December 20, 2012

Coffee ≠ Sleep


Once again I am led to the inescapable conclusion that I am no longer young. As if the creak in my bones that never used to be there, or the tendency to become upset with people doing patently stupid things – especially if they are young people – weren’t enough to tell me that I am no longer young, the fact that I am no longer impervious to pain and occasionally require sleep certainly clinches it.

Oh! The nights that I used to stay up with my production crew after a late-night taping and editing session and then shower and go to work the next day on little-to-no sleep! What ever happen to “the machine” that could do a late afternoon production, party with the crew until the wee-small hours, change, get breakfast at the 24-hour pancake house near the station and still make it to work before the rest of the department? He has aged. It is the only explanation.

Though I had a good three hours of sleep last night after I had finished cleaning-up the place once my book club was over, and a long, and luxurious shower to boot, I am sitting on the shuttle to Alexandria and absolutely incapable of staying awake. I should really take a nap, because I know I am going to want to play cards with my folks when I get home, but oh! The fatigue.

I am going to save this off now and hopefully get some good sleep. We’re just leaving the cities and I should have a couple hours to sleep, if I can only drop off. I have never been very good at sleeping when moving. I cannot sleep on planes or cars, trains are an exception. Perhaps Airport shuttles are too!

Wherever you are today, I wish you happy and safe travels as well as a wonderful holiday of your choice!

Don Bergquist – December 20, 2012 – I-94 Outside Rogers, Minnesota, USA

No comments: