Thursday, July 21, 2011

Travelogue: Australia – Technical Problems


Tee Minus Two Days And Counting.
=============================

What a day! My time spent at the office today was almost a complete waste of time.


We've been having some pretty heavy weather here of late and last night, whilst I was having one of my last calls with my Australian clients before heading over, we were having a pretty severe lightning storm. Poor Saga kept coming into the office to tell me that she was afraid, that alternating with jumping into the bathtub and whining. Saga does not like thunderstorms!

During the call I lost power momentarily, which knocked my modem offline and interrupted power to my PC. It startled me into saying something over an open international call (which was not interrupted) that I normally wouldn't have. It wasn't too, harsh, but it was certainly not what I would have said in front of a client.

The severity of the strike made itself plain this morning when I tried to boot my PC to discover that it refused to do so. I was stuck. After dealing with my IT people in the home office in Wembley, it was determined that the hit must have corrupted a sector or two on my hard drive and that I would have to have it fixed next week whilst I am over in London.

This is not TOO bad a set-back. Everything I need is on a network somewhere. But the problem is that not only are the originals inaccessible, so are the shortcuts to the storage locations of their backups! Grrr! Long story short, I spent most of the day trying to find files and configure a back-up PC to get the files into final states or preparedness. My personal PC at home is better suited to do the task, so I think that tomorrow I am going to telecommute and get things finished faster. Besides I still need to pack, clean, get Saga to the kennel. Time is ticking.

Wherever you are, I hope your day has been a productive one.

Don Bergquist – July 21, 2011 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: