Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Travelogue: Australia – Contingency Plans


An old friend and mentor of mine used to tell me (at every opportunity) that in order to be a good consultant, you always have to be thinking ahead with the contingencies. "When they think you're gonna zig, you gotta be ready to zag!" She would say, as an extension.


I've always prided myself on the ability to come-up with contingences for all foreseeable situations. Which is not to mention the ability to come-up with contingencies for many surprise opportunities; there are no problems, just unforeseen opportunities to prove yourself!

So when, for example, my PC conked-out while trying to get ready for the trip, I switched to my personal PC to edit the documents and then emailed them to my colleagues at the office. Faced with a hotel that had no internet so I couldn't get my personal email, I decided that the only way to keep in touch was to seek-out a pub that has Wi-Fi and connect there.
 
Some of you, my dear readers, may get the mistaken impression that I simply spend so much time in pubs because I have an affinity for the Beers and Ales of the British Isles. I assure you that this is not the case. I do, in fact, thoroughly enjoy a good pint now and again, but I spend so much time in pubs because they tend to have free Wi-Fi. It is simply that I feel the need to keep in touch. It is a sacrifice, but nothing is too much trouble for my friends!

It was a very busy day today, I had Knowledge Transfer with my colleague over here in Wembley much of the day, had to get my PC Repaired by the IT gurus, and had to make the final arrangements for the trip. It was a grueling day and now, I believe there is a pint somewhere that is calling my name!

Wherever you are today, I hope you have had a productive day!

Don Bergquist – 26 July 2011 – Maida Vale, Brent, England, United Kingdom

No comments: