Sunday, July 03, 2011

Another Lovely Morning

Saga and I got out early for our walk in her park. Then, after giving her her breakfast, I headed out for my hike in the park. It was just after eight and the wildlife, while nothing like the elk of last week, was profuse. There were rabbits and squirrels, there were a couple foxes (but they were quicker than I was and the photos I got are crap.

My favorites were this family of rabbits down by the lake. There were two youngsters about the age of this one here. The momma was never far off and wanted to see what the heck the big guy with the little red box that went "click" wanted with her babies. The two kept hopping around gnawing at the lawn, the flowers, and the tender shoots. They were so cute! They couldn't have been bigger than my balled-up fist so I assume that they are this year's brood. No wonder momma was so protective of them!

She came over to keep a close eye on me the minute I stopped, and other than sneaking under the branches of a low-slung pine, she didn't move off until I did!
It was a lovely morning down by the creek. I was able to identify a bunch of wildflowers that I hope to use in my garden next year when I start my xerascaping project. One of the ones that I have selected is chicory. I just love the sky-blue of the flowers.

I figure that if thee plants that I enjoy that grow in the non-irrigated parts of the park that I hike in, they should do wonderfully as a yard-replacement in my area of the complex.

Today is the Pirate Party, so I have to get this finished, checked and posted. This afternoon I have to make a run into town before I head out to the party. I've gotten my weekly fruit allocation for the office fridge and it is better to get it delivered instead of having to schlep it when I go in.

Wherever you are, I hope that you are having a lovely weekend!

Don Bergquist – July 03, 2011 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA



No comments: