Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Back To Reality

It was a lovely early summer weekend! Saga and I got to get out and walk in "her" park each morning, and there was plenty of lovely, hot, sunshine for her to lie out in on the deck. I spent my mornings hiking in the park, taking photos, and generally having a lovely, relaxing weekend, she spent her mornings snoozing and wondering when her daddy would feed her again.

The park is lovely this time of year, all the wildflowers are in bloom, there is color everywhere. The gardens are just peaking and everything is so lovely. You could almost forget that come Monday (or Tuesday, in this case) it is back to the office.


And back to the office I go. After a normal weekend there is usually a backlog of things to do, after a holiday weekend… (I have to admit to having checked my work email this weekend to see if there was anything urgent.) Part of the issue is that I am working with people in four countries on one of both of my projects (and not the same four countries for both). The US was the only one that was on holiday yesterday so, this morning, I expect a pretty full inbox.

I have also avoided watching or reading the news this weekend. There could be all manner of things that seem absolutely designed to get-up my ire of which I am blissfully unaware. It is so unlike me to have taken a vacation from the news. It was nice, but I feel out-of-the-loop. I suppose I will have to make-up for it this afternoon.

So, that's it. The weekend is over; another Independence Day is behind us; another work week stretches-out ahead. The day is going to be hot (and possibly stormy); the schedule this week is going to be hectic and harried; but the morning is cool and quiet, I can see the light of the early dawn starting to reflect in the windows of the building across the yard. I am left sitting here thinking of a scene from the Umberto Eco novel Foucault's Pendulum: the main character sits in a villa overlooking the orchards. He knows that it is all about to end and realizes that it doesn't matter; he thinks to himself "…but right now, it is so beautiful!"



Wherever you are today, I hope that you have had a lovely weekend and you will have a great day!

Don Bergquist – July 05, 2011 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: