Monday, August 29, 2005

Book Report (A New Feature)

This week, I have decided to start a new feature on my blog; a feature I am calling "Book Report."

Now that I am riding the bus to work I have a lot more time to read. At least I have more time that I am not doing anything else that enables me to spend more time reading. I think that these book reports will be a nice way for me to review the books that I am reading and to allow you to get to know something of my literary taste. (...or lack thereof as the case may be.)

Yes, I am doing my civic duty to keep petroleum usage down - I have been taking the bus since I got back from London the last time... before t hit three-dollars-a-gallon to top-up the tank. It is not so much the cost of gas, my car doesn't burn that much anyway, but it is a relief not having to drive into town every day.

So, every Wednesday I plan to present you with a book report on the reading material I have chosen for the bus that week. I have selected a new book and will report on in on Wednesday. Last week, I completed Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. I really enjoyed it but, then I had read it before a long time ago.

It is a very though provoking novel. The novel discusses topics of belief, behavior and custom. Valentine Michael Smith is the only survivor of the first manned mission to Mars. He is the son of the captain of the ship and the wife of the ship's doctor. When all the adults in the crew die of unknown causes, Smith is adopted by the Martians. Twenty-six years later he is discovered by the crew of the second manned mission to Mars.

The novel concerns itself with Smith's integration to the Human society which he has never know he was a part of.

I hope you will enjoy these reports and that it encourages you to read some of the books I have shared with you. If you'd care to comment on my reading selections, please either comment the entries (to share your thoughts with others) or click the email link to send me your feedback.

Don Bergquist - 29-August-2005 - Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: