Sunday, January 30, 2011

Travelogue: The Placebo Affect

If it worked at all it was only for minutes. I think I may have dropped off for a minute or two, but I am wide awake and fresh as a daisy. I have no idea why this should be.

All day long I have eschewed coffee. I had a cup of tea this morning while heading to the airport, but that was twelve hours ago. Since then it has been water all the way - no other caffeine at all. I have been up since five this morning; well 'yesterday' morning, technically. The local time in London is about half-two (two thirty in the morning) and that makes it after midnight here in the middle of the Atlantic.

We're passing south of the tip of Greenland now, the plain is silent - well, it's almost completely devoid of human sounds; the normal aircraft drone goes on-and-on. It is dark and relatively quiet. I do remember my doctor telling me that the pill would help me get to sleep. Did he say something about it not keeping me asleep? He must have. Because, as I said… If I slept at all, it was only for a few minutes.

Oh well! I guess that is that… I'll just have to dig out my book and work on getting through it. Perhaps that will help pass the time. I do not care for the movie being shown.

Wherever you are this evening, I hope you're sleeping soundly!

Don Bergquist - 30 January 2011 - United Airlines Flight 0958 - Somewhere over the North Atlantic

No comments: