Saturday, January 29, 2011

Surprise!

This week I was reminded of a comment I made on more than one occasion about this time last year: "It is far easier to be busy than it is to look busy!"

My project load at work (for having been with the company only about six months) was pretty heavy. I had a number of writing assignments issued to me that even more experienced Business Analysts commented seemed to be pretty heavy. I was talking to my family about how the job was going and commenting that I was really busy. Hence the well worn chestnut!

I have to say, I still believe it to be true; It is far easier to be busy than it is to look busy! This is what brings me to the surprise. (It sure took Saga by surprise!) In the week just concluding, the project manager for the newest project I have been assigned to contacted me and asked me to complete the specs that he had assigned me by the middle of the February.

This is a pretty tight deadline and he decided that it would be best accomplished by me being collocated with the development team in Wembley. He does have a point. Even with the amazing things telepresence can achieve these days, there is sometimes no substitute for being there. The Project Manager has requested my actual presence. So, by the time this posts, I will be somewhere over the Midwest on my way to London Heathrow.

Because I have an early flight this morning (last-minute fliers cannot be too choosy), I had to drop Saga at the kennel yesterday. (This is where the "surprise" comes in.) So, we went for a ride in the car (her favorite) yesterday at lunchtime. I imagine that from her point of view, it went something like this:
"Did Daddy just say something about going for a ride in the car?

"Hmmm…

"Car - Couch. Couch - Car. I can nap on the couch later, but Daddy doesn't take me in the car often.

"I love riding in the car. Oooh! There are so many things to sniff, so many things to look at, so many things to bark at! Is this…?

"It is! We're at the place where the lady brings food to me right here in the car! Dumb lady! She brings me food and all she gets is a little green slip of paper from Daddy!

" Hey! Wait a minute! I Know This Place! This is the place Daddy leaves me and never comes back! I don't want to be here! Maybe if I roll myself up really small on the back seat and pretend I don't hear Daddy when he calls… Damn. I'm wearing a lead! I have to go in! NO! Daddy! Don't leave me here!"
Or something to that affect. The surprise was driven by the fact that I didn't start packing until I left her off at the kennel. Saga sees the bags come out and unless she is with me in her kennel, in the car, she knows we're going to the Doggy Hotel and she really likes to travel with me.

Oh well. That is done. I am all packed; I am sipping my morning cup of coffee and all ready to travel. I have to leave for the airport in about an hour. I suppose I should shut down the PC and pack it. I may write an entry on the plane. Otherwise, the next entry will be made from London tomorrow.

Wherever you are today, I hope all your surprises are lovely ones!

Don Bergquist - January 29, 2010 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: