Monday, January 17, 2011

Home Construction Projects

In the words of the great Popeye The Sailor: “That’s All I Can Stands! I Can’t Stands No More!”


I’ve had a problem with the toilet in the half-bath off the living room on the ground floor of my home now for a while. It has never been bad, and it usually was something I could correct. That is, I could correct it for a while.

The problem is something to do with either the tank, the gaskets, the flapper, the flow control, or a combination thereof. That is why I have decided to just go ahead and replace the entire thing. I did that this weekend! Well, when I say "I did it..." I mean that I hired someone to do it correctly!

It is not as if the replacement is that expensive. I have a handyman who did the whole job (including hauling the unit to my place from The Home Depot and taking the old one to the dump) for less than the cost of the new one.

Well, that is less than I paid Home Depot. The actual cost of the unit will be exactly $3.00. Denver Water is having a rebate at the moment. They are rebating up to $125.00 on certain water-saving devices. Since mine is eligible for the full refund and the unit cost $128.00, the net result is the earlier-quoted figure.

The handyman came by and installed it, hauled away the old one, and now… AH! The sound of silence! The damn thing does not start running every five seconds! Yeah! (Oh, and I am not wasting so much water!

Wherever you are, I hope you’re doing your bit for conservation today!

Don Bergquist – January 17, 2011 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: