Sunday, January 30, 2011

Travelogue: Arrival

It seemed a longer trip than it was. Out of the windows of the plane the red dawn shone over the twinkling diamonds on black velvet that that were the outlying villages of western England. And then it was gone and we were at Heathrow. It was just about dawn as I met my car and we made our way into London.


The driver was a nice sort. Talkative. Wanted to know where I was coming in from. I honestly cannot remember too much of the talk, as by this time I had been awake for nearly twenty-four hours. But I resolved to stay awake and get onto the local time.

The hotel had a room ready! (!!) What luck! (!!!)

I made my way upstairs, unpacked my bags, and forsaking the bed, took a shower, freshened-up, and headed out to explore the environs. The neighborhood is not the most photogenic that I have ever seen. It is rather plain, actually!

I know that I shall sleep tonight! I stopped in for a pub dinner and a pint after walking a goodly part of the day. It is now just after seven. I have to get some sleep!

Wherever you are this afternoon, I hope that you've had a great day!

Don Bergquist - 30 January 2011 - Maida Vale, London, UK

No comments: