Saturday, August 07, 2010

When Things Are Going Your Way, Don't Sing!

There is an old joke about a bird that has had a bit of bad luck and when his luck finally seems to be turning, he sings, only to be eaten by a cat. The punch line is something to the affect that getting comfortable in your situation should never be advertised. Advertising that your situation seems to be going the way you planned is the surest way to change your circumstances.

So, when I said this morning that the final arrangements for the trip were going well was dooming myself to have a problem of some sort or another. Perhaps that was the reason the car service decided not to call me and not to show-up. Knowing that my home is a bit difficult to find, I gave explicit instructions as to how to find me. This didn't suffice, apparently as the car never showed.

Why they never called is a bit more difficult to explain. I have voicemail on both my cell phone and my home phone. My home phone and my cell phone are linked to ring simultaneously. So if I am on neither of them, the one closest to me will grab my attention, if I am on one of them, the other will alert me that someone is calling. If I am on both of them, (somehow) they both have the ability to record a message.

So why, SuperShuttle should claim to have called me and gotten a busy signal is beyond me. For one thing, I don't even know how a busy signal could be returned, and secondly, I was not on the phone until they were half an hour late, when I called them.

The fact that they have charged me in advance for a ride that they never gave me, nor attempted to give me as far as I can tell, is something I will have to deal with when I return from my trip. Right now, I think I will have to just not worry about it.

There was a bit of a hassle when I got to the gate, the gate agent tried to tell me that I had somehow not gotten a seat assignment, even though there was a seat assigned on my ticket. I told him that I had checked-in with an agent at the check-in desk and that the boarding pass I had was printed, stamped, and issued by a United staff member, I was planning on boarding the plane with it. He decided to drop the issue.

I'd say that the trip is going well, overall, but I don't want to jinx it! I am sitting in the departures lounge of my flight to London, allowing my laptop to get one last charge. I'll upload this when I get to my hotel.

Wherever you are today, I hope your annoyances are minor ones!

Don Bergquist - August 07, 2010 - Denver International Airport, Denver, Colorado, USA

No comments: