Saturday, August 28, 2010

All Caught-Up

Okay, finally I have gotten the stuff out of my blog file posted-up. I have also gotten the pictures I took while I was in the UK uploaded to Frost Lake Photography. I hope that you enjoy them.

Saga was overjoyed to see me last weekend. I was so jet-lagged that I basically vegetated all weekend. I did make it to the pool a couple times and get the mail, but other than that, last weekend was passed in a more-or-less vegetative state.

This weekend has flown by. I got some writing assignments at work and was able to get through a couple of them (with the assistance of my colleagues) and submit them for approval. The first one I submitted was accepted without comments by the developer. That, I am told, is a good sign!

This weekend I have been trying to get all the stuff I have let slide since I got back from Wembley done, but it is going to be a hot day out so I may just nap after getting done with some of the stuff I need to do.

Saga has been thrilled to have her daddy back. We went to the park and walked more this week that usual. She has just wanted to explore. But perhaps this is while we ware walking she has my undivided attention.

But this is not getting all my chores done, so I had best post this and get to the next task on my to-do list.

Wherever you are this weekend, I hope you are having a relaxing (or productive, or both) one!

Don Bergquist - August 28, 2010 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - In a picture you posted from England recently I noticed something that looks like an arc (or a rainbow) over a stadium. I assumed that the stadium was Wembly Stadium because that was the area where you said you were staying. Now I noticed today, on the right side of your blog, you have posted another picture of the stadium. I have a tape of a concert shot at Wembly Stadium several years ago and I did not see an arc anywhere. What is that? Is it something phyical (like made of metal) or maybe some sort of a hologram projection?

Anonymous Reader

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous Reader,

Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog.

That is an astute eye you have! You do see a metallic arch over the stadium in the pictures that I have posted of the Wembley stadium. It is, I am informed, part of the superstructure of the stadium that holds-up the retractable roof.

The stadium is, also, as you have surmised, Wembley Stadium. (That is why the post card I have added to my blog for September reads "Greetings From Wembley" over an approximation of the London Underground logo.)

I wonder how old the tape of the concert at Wembley you mention is. I would have to say it is at least a few years old (as you say it is a tape, rather than a DVD, it is probably older than that) and this makes perfect sense. Wembley has actually been home to at least two arenas that I am aware of. The earlier arena was torn down to make room for the later one.

The new Wembley stadium opened in 2007. I was living in the UK when it opened. The arch over the stadium appears to be constructed of some sort of metal tubes, but I really couldn't say. The picture was taken from my hotel room window and that is as close as I got to the stadium.

Thanks again for reading and commenting on my blog!

Don

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation. The video I saw was of an INXS concert in July 1991. That must have been the old stadium.

AR

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous Reader:

Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog.

Yes, if the concert you have on tape is that old, then it was the OLD Wembley stadium. I can remember the hoopla over the opening of the new stadium opening while I lived there. I believe that it was either 2006 or 2007 that it actually opened.

If you look closely at the version of the picture I took from my company's office on a lovely, sunny day (See: A Lovely Morning, posted Monday 09 September 2010.) you will be able to see the cables that run from the arch down to the supporting structure for the roof. The arch is, I am informed, load-bearing. It supports part of the weight of the stadium's roof.

Thanks again for reading and commenting!

Don