Monday, October 10, 2005

...Snow by Tomorrow Afternoon...

Well, I guess that blizzard conditions by morning can be considered as snow by the afternoon!

What you are almost seeing is Broadway in downtown Denver, Colorado as seen from my office when I arrived this morning.

Normally, the window that I am shooting from would have a spectacular panoramic view of the downtown area, the Platte River, Cherry Creek, the foothills, the Front Range, all the way down to Pikes Peak in the distant south. (Unless it is a day when "The Brown Cloud" is clinging to the city.)

Today you can barely make out the world trade center towers rising on the right edge of the picture and the Colorado Bank Building at the left.

There are schools running on delayed schedule all over the metropolitan Denver area and some of the local counties have gone on winter accident alert status. (This last means that they are having so many calls of weather-related accident that the normal "don't leave the scene until the police arrive" rule does not, necessarily apply. As long as drugs and alcohol are not involved, exchange info, take pictures, what-ever, and call the police within 72 hours.)

It is not looking good for my trip to Minnesota this afternoon. Colorado Department of Transportation has put out winter driving advisories for the entire metropolitan area and the conditions on their website for I-76 shows wet, slushy, and snow-covered roads all the way into Nebraska. This weather system shows on the map and satellite images as extending all the way to Lincoln so I am pretty sure that it is too late to get out in front of it. I prefer to err on the side of caution so unless things change drastically by the time it is time for me to leave; I believe I will be staying put this week.

I hope that your conditions are bright and sunny and the pavement before you is clear and dry!

Don Bergquist - 10-October-2005 - Denver, Colorado

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I see is one HUGE hand!

Unknown said...

Yes, Well... that is what happens when you take a picture throught a window. If it is darker outside than in you see a reflection.But then, being a photographer, I'd expect you to know that, Michael!

Actually, I noticed that, but decided to post it anyway because it shows the snow. And I was in a closed room with all the lights off and it was still darker outside.

(You're not as anonymous as you think!)

djb

Hyperspider said...

Ok, I won't be "anonymous", since Don can read minds. :)