Sunday, October 16, 2005

Driving Home

04:45 Central Time

Without the use of an alarm clock this morning, I got up and finished packing the remainder of my stuff in the car. After a quick cup of coffee (and one more for the road) I hugged everyone good bye and headed west. The Weather Channel shows nothing ahead of me but about 900 miles of clear skies and dry roads.

Just west of Morris, Minnesota I noticed the moon setting and thought it would make a good picture. I am now more certain than ever that I need to upgrade to an SLR digital camera. I miss my 400 mm lens! This is the best definition I can get with the lens built into my camera.

07:30 Central Time

In retrospect, I am not certain that the back way (the long way through Morris) is any better or worse than the way that I normally take. It did make it possible for me to get the sunrise over the trees in this field. The driving is going well and there is nobody else on the road to slow me down. I expect that I should be in Sioux Falls before too much longer.

Saga is snoring in the back seat and I guess that means that she will be of no trouble to me for this trip either. I have the books on tape playing and am really into the story I am listening to. I am currently listening to Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen. Good book!

18:06 Mountain Time

It has been a great day of driving! I made it through Sioux Falls in record time and am well into Colorado by now. I loved the book. I have also listened to a book by David Sedaris today and am currently listening to The Book on Bush. I just looked in the read-view mirror and noticed that the moon is rising.

I took this shot by rolling-down the window and aiming the camera at the side mirror. The shot came out surprisingly well. Ahead of me, the sun is setting over the Rocky Mountains. What a gorgeous day! I count myself as exceedingly lucky that I get to live here!

I am beginning to get a bit tired. I think that I will take the short way - through town - to get home.

19:50 Mountain Time

In retrospect, I suppose I should have taken the long way. This is the problem with not being a sports fan. It never occurred to me to turn on my radio to the channel that carries all the sports.

Apparently the Broncos were playing tonight. It took me well over an hour to get through town because of all the people leaving the stadium. Oh well, all-in-all it was still quite a nice drive today! I am now home. All the stuff from the car is sitting in a pile in the living room. That is for tomorrow to worry about.

I hope your day has been filled with clear roads and good weather!

Don Bergquist - 16-October-2005 - Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: