Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A Weather Report

It is a beautiful spring-like day here in the UK. The breezes off the Thames that blow through my office window are brisk (cool verging on being actually cold) and tinted with the aroma of a distant fire burning in someone’s hearth. This is odd because it is, after all, the height of summer!

When I left Lakewood this weekend, the temperatures on my deck had been hitting one hundred degrees Fahrenheit on a daily basis for over a week. According to the BBC this morning, the temps there are still ranging into the high nineties. Here the current temperature is about seventy and it is lunch time so they do not expect the temperature to get much higher. What an odd thing to be dealing with when they had eighties and nineties here just last week.

I do not wonder that there is so little air conditioning here in England; there is apparently so little need for it. The down duvet on the bed in the hotel is welcome at night as the temperatures fall to below fifty. The walk from the pub to the hotel at closing time is bracing. I could get used to this!

I hope, that the temperatures do not get any cooler, however, as I packed for this trip when the prospects were calling for the UK to continue in the grips of a heat wave. It broke unexpectedly and the rains have set in. (England did not fool me on that account. I have learned that I have to be ready for it to rain every day. I have an umbrella with me.) I guess I need to add a note to my packing regimen for future trips to the UK: always pack a sweatshirt and/or a light jacket when coming over here. You will probably need it!

I hope that wherever you are the weather is pleasant and mild and that you have a great day!

Don Bergquist – 26-July-2005 – Thames Ditton, United Kingdom


The forecast for Tuesday:
High 70 F / 21 C
Low: 57 F / 13 C

Current weather in East Molesey: P/SUNNY
Temperature: 57 F / 13 C
Humidity: 82 %
Wind speed: 4 mph / 6 kmph
Wind direction: ENE
Barometric pressure: 29.89 inHg /762 mHg
Visibility: 25 mi / 40 km

No comments: