Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Wilderness

To the northern side of the Hampton Court Castle, there is a beautiful garden known as “The Wilderness.” I assume that this is to distinguish it from the formal gardens just to the east of there. The Wilderness is divided into a number of irregular triangular lawns with trees and hedges throughout, but there are no two triangles that are of the same size and proportion.

I have just arrived in the United Kingdom this morning and this is the first place that I have come to spend time. It is a bit on the cool side, perhaps 35-degrees, but it is sunny and cloudless out. It looks like it may cloud up a bit later, but right now it is lovely.

I was told that this area was called the wilderness but did not really appreciate the reason for it until I returned to the United Kingdom this morning. It was a wonderful surprise to find that I had arrived while The Wilderness was awash with color. I have long known about “naturalizing” a lawn, but until now I have never really understood its full potential.

I am sitting on a bench writing this taking in the beauty of the scene. The lawns are, as you can see, absolutely exploding with color. They have been under-planted with thousands of bulbs, crocuses, daffodils, astors, and snow drops. I am inspired… I have to do this to my lawn! I am not sure how the homeowners’ association will feel about it, but it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

You may wonder why I am sitting on a park bench writing this, given that it is cold. Well, my hotel room was not ready, (after traveling for the last fourteen hours and having the flight attendant spill a pot of coffee on me, I’d really love to get a shower!) and before noon there is nothing open here on a Sunday. So, here I sit. I guess I could go see if the King’s Arms is open yet.

I hope you have a wonderful day wherever you are!

Don Bergquist – 13-March-2005 – Hampton Court Castle, United Kingdom

No comments: