Saturday, December 26, 2009

Yule Blog - Boxing Day

cabin fever

-noun

1. A state characterized by anxiety, restlessness, and boredom, arising from a prolonged stay in a remote or confined place.

2. Boredom, restlessness, or irritability that results from a lack of environmental stimulation, as from a prolonged stay in a remote, sparsely populated region or a confined indoor area.

3. Winter in Minnesota.

1915-20, Americanism


In all the years that I have been coming to Minnesota, I do not remember the weather being this bad. But we have each other, we have the internet, and we have a number of games to keep us occupied. I doubt we’ll be reenacting The Shining any time soon.

It is kind of a bummer that we didn’t get the chance to head up to the farm in Parkers Prairie, but it was not to be…

My folks and I were just saying this morning that it is unbelievable that I have been here two weeks already, but looking at the calendar, it is so! Two weeks ago Saga and I were driving here; Dad was lying in the hospital recovering from surgery; and Flo was at dad’s bedside, trying to keep his spirits up.

Flo was later told that Dad’s recovery would have been faster had she not been there keeping him awake, expending energy wondering if she was entertained. But I am sure that regardless of what the nurses say Dad was glad to have her there.

So here it is, another lovely, cold, snowy morning. The snow is predicted to end today but we’ll see… at least we have nowhere to be until Monday.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you are with the ones you love and inside, warm and safe.

Don Bergquist - December 26, 2009 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: