Saturday, October 03, 2009

Butt-Ugly-Early O’clock

The thing about butt-ugly-early o’clock is that it doesn’t correspond to any specific point along the timeline. When discussing butt-ugly-early o’clock in the context of getting in the car and heading toward Minnesota, it may be as early as two-or-three in the morning. It can be as late as well, seven thirty this morning.

It has been flexible because I was having a crappy morning where nothing goes right. It has been flexible because I could not get back to sleep and so took off much earlier than I had hoped.

This morning it was flexible because of two things: the weather and the dog. I awoke at about a quarter to four. I was relaxed, rested, and ready for a nice day of driving and listening to books on my iPod as I drove to Dad’s place.

While laying there in the warmth of the duvet I turned on the weather channel to see what the roads ahead looked like I discovered that the temperature outside was below freezing. Hmm… tough call, slide out from under the warm fluffy coverlet and go out into the cold now or later. “Just five minutes…” I thought to myself.

The second event to delay me was when Saga came up to the bedroom jumped into bed next to me and snuggled close for warmth. She was almost immediately snoring happily. What could I do? I turned off the TV, tucked in and went back to sleep.

It’s now about seven thirty, I am up, ready to go. So, I suppose it is time to walk the dog, get her in the car, and get on the road. So I wish you clean and dry roads a head of you wherever you’re going.

Wherever you are today, I wish you well!

Don Bergquist – October 03, 2009 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: