Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Personal Best

Okay, I admit it, these are not from this trip, but one I made a couple years ago. The moon was not full last night but the sunset over the Nebraska wilderness was stunning! As was the lightning storm I saw in the rear-view mirror!

You really could not ask for a better day to drive home! (Well, I guess you could, but you would have no right to expect the request to be granted!) It started with a lovely breakfast at the hotel my brother and his family were staying at and the conversation and camaraderie were wonderful.

I broke off around ten to pop back to the house to load the car and get ready for the trip, and then around eleven I was off. The "Minnesota Long Goodbye" pared down to about half-an-hour of parting banter and Saga and I were headed Southwest by shortly after eleven.

The roads were dry and clear and except for a bit of a headwind through South Dakota, it was a great day for a drive. The books on the iPod helped the miles pass faster. As a matter of fact, the first even slightly adverse road conditions I faced were the wet roads just east of Valentine, Nebraska; still wet from a thunderstorm that had just passed over.

There was a bit of drizzle as I got into Denver proper, but apparetnly, I missed a stronger storm earlier in the day. My flowerbeds look to have been hit by some hail and there are leaves and branches down.

I have now unloaded the car and it is time to get things put away... but at least, according to my GPS I have set a new personal best. I am not sure how long this one will stand!

One way distance Kensington, Minnesota to Lakewood, Colorado: 931.8 Miles (door-to-door)

  • Moving Time:                  11:55:30
  • Moving Average:             78.1 MpH
  • Stopped Time:                 01:05:12
  • Total Transit:                   13:00:42
  • Average Transit Speed:   71.6 MpH

Well, back to the laundry and clean-up after the trip!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have had an excellent day!

Don Bergquist - May 26, 2009 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

Editor's Note:

Before he has a chance to ask, I will answer Michael's question.

The Homebound Listening List was:

A BBC7 Radio Adaptation of Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom
A BBC7 Radio Adaptation of The Green Hills Of Earth by Robert A. Heinlein
Notes From A Small Island By Bill Bryson
An episode of X Minus One called Chain of Command
And a Tim Minchin Album called Dark Side

editor

No comments: