Monday, November 22, 2004

A Night at the King's Arms

So, I guess that by standards of the last message this may seem like a short entry but I have been informed that I have a very British outlook on life. Apparently, the people of the village I am staying in do not prefer the restaurant at the hotel that I am staying at either. I showed-up at the pub for a beer and some dinner and the barman and his wife and I sat up chatting until late in the night. I sampled about a half-dozen kinds of British beers and they were all excellent.

We discussed the state of world affairs, the recently completed elections, literature, music and comedians. They informed me that the president is a “Wanker.” I am quite certain that unless I miss my guess, this is not a complimentary term. They introduced me to a comedian that was from Austin, Texas who, apparently, nobody from the US had ever heard of. I will be listening to the CD tonight and returning it to the pub when I go for dinner tomorrow.

The time in Thames Ditton is busy. I was in the office at 07:45 this morning and worked on my project work with the staff here until 17:00. The staff I am working with is great. We have gone to lunch at a couple of the local pubs and will be heading off for a couple beers after work on Thursday. They have decided to celebrate my holiday with me. And, as they are helping me celebrate the fact that my country successfully broke away from an oppressive regime (the country which housed the regime will remain nameless for the moment), survived the voyage, the savage indigenous peoples, and the harsh winter by allowing me to buy a round for the oppressive regimes!

I was informed that there was a lack of pictures on the blog… this is true, I hadn’t downloaded from my camera yet. I have now added the pictures from the weekend. The one of the London Eye is a bit dark on the web, it was much lighter and showed details on my pc. I may have to touch it up in photo shop.

Well, that’s it. I am off to bed. I hope you have a great day!

Don Bergquist – Thames Ditton, United Kingdom – 22 November, 2004

No comments: