Monday, November 29, 2004

Douglas Adams Tourism

For those of you who do not know me all that well, you may not be aware that my favorite author was British and that my favorite novel of all times was set right here in the metropolitan London area. For the rest of you, yes! This is a missive describing my attempts to visit the areas that I could find that are immortalized in Douglas Adams’ greatest book: The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

The first place that I looked for was St. Pancras station, where Dirk Gently meets the tramp while searching for cigarettes. As described, this is a modern station – lots of steel and glass and straight lines. It would be an appropriate airport concourse. When set beside the older railway terminal that is downstairs, however, it somehow appears to be cold and stark. I next set off for the King’s Cross station which is described in the book as being right around the corner. It is, in fact, right across the road. I guess if they were not in the process of building a terminal for the Chunnel between the two the route that Dirk takes would actually be possible.


No comments: