Sunday, November 28, 2004

Being a Tourist

I'm writing from the 17:28 Southwest Trains service to Hampton Court calling on Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Earlsfeild, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, New Malden, Berrylands, Surbiton, Thames Ditton, and Hampton Court. Or rather, I am writing from the Delayed 17:28 Southwest Trains service to Hampton Court calling on Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Earlsfeild, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, New Malden, Berrylands, Surbiton, Thames Ditton, and Hampton Court.

I'd probably have been able to call the stops before sitting here for the last fifteen minutes listening to apologies on how the Delayed 17:28 Southwest Trains service to ... (you get the idea)... is continued to be delayed by emergency crews on the tracks at Berrylands. So here we sit and wait.

Today I toured the Tower of London. Our guide ("...Alan if you enjoyed yourselves, George if you didn't...") was quite good. What a riot! Being from the major tourist Mecca of southern Florida, I know that most of it is scripted, but his delivery was great!

I had made plans to head to York for the weekend, but since I haven't really done anything "touristy" in London yet (and since two day passes are a good bit more economical than a round-trip to York) I decided to do that instead today. Yep! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I did not - repeat did not - cancel my plans because a number of us were drinking beer and discussing politics at The King's Arms Pub Friday night until the publican tossed us out. I mean, yes, that did happen but, no! That is not why I changed my plans.

Two things I’ve noticed about the guys at the pub: 1) They assume that all we lot (US Citizens) are gun-toting nuts, and 2) They are far more willing to surrender their civil rights than I am. But that is a missive for another day. Suffice it to say that I have changed my plans because going to York this weekend would have been a bit of a stretch with the late start I got.

This weekend, instead, I have toured the Tower of London, Gone to London Bridge, taken a walk across London (west to east instead of south to north this time) and had a great time doing the London thing. Next weekend I think I am going to rent a car and go to Stonehenge. But that is a plan I am not about plans – except that I plan to stop at the pub on the way from the train station to the hotel and have a pint.

Yeah! We're moving! Only 20 minutes late. Cool! Have a great day!

Don Bergquist – Waterloo Station, London, United Kingdom – 28 November, 2004

No comments: