Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day

I was driving through western Douglas County, Minnesota this afternoon when it suddenly struck me. As I passed the turn-off to The Kensington Runestone Park, it occurred to me that the last time I had been in that particular spot, headed that particular direction was just ten days ago.

Dad was alive, we had gone to his church so he could give confession, and go to mass. Then he wanted to stop in the park. We drove up to the top of the hill where we saw this scarlet tanager. We didn't stay long, because Dad tired so quickly in those final days. But he was in complete bliss as he stared out over the park he had helped to preserve and expand. I wonder, now, if he didn't know that this would be the last time he would see it. I am happy that his last drive was with me. I am glad to have had the time so share with my father.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have not let any opportunities you have to spend time with your father pass you by!

Don Bergquist - June 16, 2013 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: