Sunday, June 16, 2013

Best Laid Plans...

On of the lessons that my dad taught me was that not every thing you plan comes to pass. And just because you don't get what you plan for, it doesn't mean you don't get what you need.
I've just posted some pictures to my facebook page. Here is one of them:


This picture is brought to you by faltering plans! 

Had I made it onto the road at butt-ugly early o'clock as I had planned to last night, had I been able to make it to my hotel in Sioux Falls by mid-afternoon to catch-up on the news and correspondence that undoubtedly was piling-up in my inbox, had I had the chance to luxuriate in the pool and relax this evening As I had planned too... I would not have been in Western Iowa this evening around sunset to take this picture. 

Were a bit more superstitious, I would think that my road trip with all the failed plans that I had today (oops, it is after midnight - yesterday) were orchestrated to put me in just that location, at just that time, to take in the spectacular sunset! (I might also wonder about all the wildfires back in Colorado that, I am sure, are contributing to the amazingly red hue...)

Were I a less willing student, I might dismiss this as coincidence and nothing more and go on with my plans to get-up early and get breakfast somewhere on the road so that I can make it to Kensington by mid-morning. But I think the only plan I am actually going to make this evening (eh, morning) is to crawl under the big, fluffy duvet and not come out again until I feel like it. Perhaps - and this is NOT a plan, mind you, but perhaps - in the morning I will read some email and linger over breakfast. We'll see.

Wherever you are, I hope than any setbacks you suffered were as fortuitous. 

Don Bergquist - June 16, 2013 - Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA

No comments: