Thursday, June 20, 2013

Again With The Birds?

My Uncle Dick tells the story of seeing a bird (a dove?) that followed his tractor as he was plowing the fields the day after my mom's funeral. The bird simple followed along as he drove the fields in the tractor. He had been thinking of my mother, and there it was. After following his progress, staying more-or-less even with him. It was a bit of a gloomy day, and when the clouds started breaking, the bird finally flew off. He described it as a very peaceful feeling.


Many years later, my cousin found a bird on the day of his grandmother's (my aunt's) funeral. It wasn't until Dick made the connection to the thirty-year-old story that we all thought twice about it. I would never have thought about it again, except that it seems to have happened again to me - this morning.

What happened is this. Last night I had given my brother-in-law a ride from the airport to his hotel (in Parkers Prairie) and stayed the night in the same hotel rather than riding back. I wanted to visit my mom's, my aunt's, and my grandparents' graves and this seemed to be a way to kill two birds with the same stone - so to speak. I


There was an oriole perched in a branch right above my car. He sat there waiting for something. Staring this way and that. As if he was had something to do, and was just waiting for the time to be right. He made no move to leave when I opened the sun roof to take a few pictures. And showed no signs of distress when I got out of the car to get a better vantage.

I just thought he was a lovely bird, and then I remembered the family history with birds and funerals. Were I a more superstitious person than I am, I would think Dad wanted to talk to me. As it is, I get chills thinking that this bird thing my family has seems to have passed to me. Who's next!?

Who ever it is, I hope that they get the marvel and sense of peace this brought me. Besides, it was really lovely! But now, the wake is over. The day is at an end and it is time for bed. The funeral is tomorrow and we have a busy day ahead. I had best get this posted and get some sleep.

Wherever you are today, I hope something interesting has happened to you today.

Don Bergquist - June 20, 2013 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: