Sunday, September 18, 2005

What Is In A Name?

As William Shakespeare said in his play Romeo and Juliet (written in 1595):

"What's in a name?
That which we call a rose by any other name
would smell as sweet."


What gets me thinking of this particular quote today is the ritual that accompanies the arrival of a new person in the world. Today, my friends Tim and Becky had some friends over to celebrate their impending little bundle of joy.

Yes, they held a baby shower. There were games like "Mold a baby out of clay" (The "Let's make a baby" game.) And a Baby Goods jumble. There was food and drink and we had a good time seeing each other. We discussed (but, luckily did not play) the "Poopy Diaper" game. From what I understand it is played by melting a variety of chocolate bars in cloth diapers and then passing them around. The players may use what ever sense they choose (sight, touch, smell, taste) to determine what kind of candy bar it is in each diaper.

It was good seeing everybody and great to see that their friends showered them with so many of the useful things they will be needing with the new baby on the way. But this is not the tradition that I was talking about.

I am talking about getting another chance to lobby for the name "Balthasar" to make a comeback. Now, I am not talking about Balthasar the magi (The Gospel of St. Matthew, Chapter Two) who, with his two eastern mystic friends, went to see the baby in the manger. No. I am talking about my great uncle Balthasar. (Pronounced like a drunk trying to say "Bell tower" but failing and saying "Bell Tozer" instead.)

Family tradition has it that Dad lobbied (unsuccessfully, I am thankful to report) to name each of his sons after his Uncle. Mom, would have nothing of it. I am glad that Mom won this particular argument. At least, I am glad that she won in my case. Had he worn her down in time to name my little brother Balthasar, or had he won on his first attempt and my elder brother been stuck with the name, I still would have been free of it.

Although, I am thinking that I may have to get married and have a son so that I can call him Balthasar. Balthasar Oscar Bergquist. We'd call him BOB for short. Sorry to report that the child that my friends are having is a girl. They didn't buy the idea of Balthasar even when I said that Bally would be a great nickname for a girl named Balthasar.

Oh well. I hope you have better luck in selling your ideas today!

Don Bergquist - 18-September-2005 - Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: