Sunday, September 25, 2005

An Autumn Drive in Colorado

I have a picture that I took of the reservoir above Georgetown, Colorado that I really love but I have always wanted the same shot taken at sunrise. The problem is that it takes well over an hour to get to the lake from my home and so I need to make sure I get there by sunrise and that the sunrise is likely to be one that is worth shooting. With the frequency of good sunrises these past few weeks, I felt that the chance was now.

Saturday, I got up at that special time I like to think of as butt-ugly early o'clock. I was out the door before five yesterday morning and headed west. The road up to Guinellas Pass is not an easy road to drive at the best of conditions. It took me far longer than normal to get to the lake in the dark because there is no striping on the road and trying to see it at night is a challenge.


Georgetown Reservoir at Sunrise

I got to the reservoir at 05:45 and spent the next hour seeking-out the path to the lake, setting-up my equipment, and then sipping my coffee and waiting for the money shot. This picture was touched-up a bit to bring-out the detail on the sides of the mountains. The original (un-retouched) photos can be seen for this stop and my entire trip by clicking the link at the top of this entry.

After sunrise, I shot a few pictures on the park grounds, then climbed the hill back to the parking area and headed west across the pass. With the sun up, it is definitely easier to negotiate the road. It was a lovely morning. For those of you here in Colorado reading this: the road over Guinellas Pass is horrible… it is worse than before they started working on it! (I have to say this or a bunch of other people will discover it and spoil one of my favorite drives by turning it into another "rush hour" drive.) No, seriously, they have done a wonderful job resurfacing the road across the pass and it is now only really a suspension wrecker at the very beginning and the very end.

My route, as shown in the map below, took me over four mountain passes. I loved it. It is too bad that the light went bad by the end of the morning. I was forced (by building cloud cover) to curtail my drive before noon and head home. All-in-all, however it was a wonderful day.

I hope that you have had a great day where you are!

Don Bergquist - 25-September-2005 - Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: