Monday, September 26, 2005

Observations

One of the wonderful things about having my blog titled "Don Sees the World" is that it is sufficiently vague to allow almost any idea or observation to fall within the area described by the title. Even quandaries of a political nature...

I am sitting at my desk in my home office. It is about 05:00 MDT in Lakewood, Colorado and I have just heard the most amazing story on the news. The president, in an attempt to encourage conservation of precious fuel and help the country recover from the refining loss caused by the recent hurricanes has suggested that nobody drive anywhere unless it is absolutely necessary.

Now, is it just me or does it seem ironic to anyone else that the president has now been to the hurricane zone (where he can be of no conceivable aid) seven-or-eight times? Didn't he just tell us to not drive unless it is absolutely necessary?

If I should eschew the use of my Honda Civic Hybrid on the extra trip to the grocery store, why is he flying half-way across the country in a private Boeing 747, transferring to a fleet of SUVs and driving into a disaster zone where he cannot do anything more than look at the devastation and say "Yep! Looks like you've seen better days." What a horrible waste of fuel that is! But then he's nor really known for being the sharpest pencil in the drawer.

I guess the poor guy cannot win for losing. I'm sure he thinks that if he did what he should do (stay in the white house and do his job, perhaps) people would say he was doing nothing. He seems to not understand the difference between staying on vacation (appearing not to care) and making a show of pretending to care by staging a bunch of photo ops.

I hope your day is irony-free.

Don Bergquist - 26-September-2005 - Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: