Friday, March 27, 2015

Departure

I rarely say this about travel, but it was a LOVELY day! A friend of mine and I are taking a long-weekend to go to Palm Springs to do some geological road trips. I have been doing a bit of study of geology as of late; the first question I asked when I saw the mountains near my home when I moved here (years ago) was “How?”

So I started studying geology, by reading-up on books about the geology you can see here in Lakewood. I have since moved on to other, deeper (if you will forgive the pun) subjects – like plate tectonics, orogeny, and formation of petrochemicals.

I am not an expert by any means, but I have a very good friend that I have made out here that is; he works for the US Geological Survey as a geochemical expert. (I am not sure what his actual title is, but he can tell you more about how oil and gas are formed that you can come-up with questions to ask! That is what we’re doing out here. I have a book on a number of geological road-trips that we will be taking to look at faulting, and its effects on the ecology.

So, why was the travel here so nice?

Well, it was a lovely morning – the traffic to the airport was unusually nice, and we had enough time in the airport to have a nice and casual breakfast in the airport before our flight.

The flight was nice and the view of the scenery we were flying over was great!

We got to Palm Springs and our luggage was the first off the plane, and to top it all off – the car rental agency was out of the cars that we had reserved, they upgraded us to a nice SUV.

Wherever you are today I hope that your travel through your day has been as pleasant!

Don Bergquist – March 27, 2015 – Palm Springs, California, USA

No comments: