Sunday, January 03, 2010

Brrr Is Right!

According to the weather reports (and independent verification from my folks) I picked the right day to leave! Yesterday it was -37 when I would have been leaving. Today it is just as bad!

Besides that, I see on the news that they had snow along my route; today and yesterday would have been miserable driving. As it is, I am home, I missed the worst of it, I have mostly returned my house to its usual state or order, and I am ready to return to my normal schedule.

And tomorrow I am back to the office. It is nice being able to work wherever I have to. But I definitely miss the in-person interaction that one gets being co-located with their team. Science fiction writes have (since at least Asimov) been suggesting that the day would come where nobody ever went anywhere. (There is a story I remember reading in high school – no, I do not remember what the story was called – where a guy physically travels half-way around the world to visit his mother on her birthday and he totally unnerves her because he has invaded her personal space.)

I doubt that this will ever come to pass. There is just too much the a remote worker misses out on. Short periods of time, sure… it is a great tool. But permanent telecommuting is not something I would ever see as a possibility. At least, it’s not for me.

Saga is happy to be home. But I can tell you this: the next time I get a dog, I am going to get two. Saga, now that she is home again, will not eat her dry kibble. For the last three weeks, she ate it voraciously… mostly, I suspect to keep my folks’ dog, Sunshine, from getting at it. But now that we are home and we have removed the threat to her food supply, it is back to the normal need to mix wet food into the dry before she will even consider eating it. A pair of dogs is less finicky than a single one!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you are home safe and sound and enjoying the New Year!

Don Bergquist – January 03, 2010 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: