Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day Irony

How ironic that the day I take my hybrid in for service at the dealership is Earth Day. No, the irony isn't that I drive a Honda Hybrid vehicle, or that I was getting it serviced, or any of that... the irony is in what they gave me as a replacement.

Let's put it this way: This thing is HUGE!

I have no idea what the vehicle even is... it's transportation that I need to get home and to run a couple errands I have at lunchtime. But it is so big I cannot even get it into my garage. There is enough room back there to park my hybrid! Saga could get lost in the back of this thing. We could hold a party in it!

You can almost hear all those dead dinosaurs rolling over in their graves when you start the engine. I haven't driven anything this big in years. The bus I drove in Minnesota years ago when I worked for that summer camp near Brainerd was the thing this big that I can remember driving.

I may (in honor of Earth Day) delay my errands until after I get my car back this afternoon. It is easier on my conscience than seeing that gas gauge visibly move as I sit at the traffic lights!

Wherever you are today, do something green!

Don Bergquist - April 22, 2009 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: