Sunday, April 05, 2009

Credibility

Dad's stories had been gaining credibility with me of late... that is until I actually came to actually consider what he was talking about!

"You don't know how easy you have it, growing up here in Miami!" Dad used to admonish us. "There were years that we had to climb out the second floor window of the farm house to go to Easter services."

Sitting here watching the snow fall for the second day in a row, the third day in April that we've had snow, I called Dad yesterday to tell him that his stories (at least that one) had become slightly more credible in my mind.

"Dad," I began "watching the snow I can begin to believe one of your stories about growing up in Minnesota might be true."

"Which one? The one about digging a tunnel between the house and the barn to milk the cows?"

"No, the one about leaving for Church on Easter Sunday by climbing-out of the second floor window." It was about this time that it occurred to me. If only it had occurred to me a split-second sooner I would have been fine; I was about to retract my statement when dad pointed-out the obvious...

"How do you think we were meant to actually get to church?"

"Ah!" I replied. "Yes... If the snow was that bad, how would you get the five miles into town to get to church? Right..."

Once more, Dad's stories have been relegated to the realm of incredulity.

Wherever you are, I hope that you're having a wonderful weekend!

Don Bergquist - April 05, 2009 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

2 comments:

Sara Lynne said...

Good one! That's why he's the dad ;)

Unknown said...

To steal a quote from The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy (well to paraphrase at least):

30% of all of the stories about Dad’s childhood are 63% true
20% are 28%% true
10% are only 5% true
And all the rest are told by my dad!


But at least the length of the road that Dad lived on in Minnesota was constant; it was always about five miles into town. In the truly strange universe my mother grew-up in the length of the road varied from as little as a mile, to as much as three miles.

I have heard of the concept of a rubber universe, I just never thought it had any real-world application!

djb