Monday, February 11, 2013

Manners


"After you, kind sir!"

It was a bit stilted and unexpected but it was certainly mannerly! What made it more interesting was who it came from. The kid could not have been older than ten. His parents had clearly taught him to respect his elders. – Not that respect is automatic, but courtesy should be.

I was at the library this weekend and as I approached the door, the boy reached the door before me and opened it. He then waited for me to step through it with that quaint and underused phrase. It was such an odd contrast to the more usual treatment that I would have expected – the treatment I got as I reached the inner door.

A kid coming from one of the side halls that lead into the main building ran around me, bumping into me as he went, and then opened the door wide enough for him to slip through and slammed it behind himself. Ah! There is the rudeness I expected! All is well again with the world.

My parents would have been completely scandalized if I had acted like that as a kid. What am I saying? I am sure that I did from time-to-time; they would have been scandalized had they been there to see it and I would have gotten a whooping!

Oh well, at least one of my encounters today was pleasant!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have had a pleasant and mannerly encounter.

Don Bergquist – February 11 2013 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: