Saturday, December 24, 2011

White Christmas


What a week! We had over a foot of snow in town, nearly 10” out at my house this week and the sub-zero temperatures (that’s Fahrenheit – not Celsius) we have had all week means that I still have plenty on the ground and it is going to be a White Christmas.

Santa came early to my house this year. I had planned on getting myself a new tablet computer this year, and because of the storm and all the problems that UPS has been having delivering packages, it had to be re-directed to my home. It was delivered today. It looks real nice next to the new PC that I had to buy myself this week because my old PC bit the dust. I hadn’t planned to buy a PC but when my old PC started shutting itself down randomly as I was using it, it became necessary.

I spent a large amount of time last night working on getting it installed with all the things I needed from my old PC; today I have a bit of work left. I am also writing myself a configuration manual for the next time it becomes necessary. I mean, I have all the info I need, and it was pretty easy to find, but it would have saved me a couple hours had I had it all in one place, in one document.

So, I am writing one that includes all the directions for getting my PC to the state I need it in (including where the back-ups are, what data to install, where to store it, where to copy config files to… all that good stuff). This new document will be printed and stored as well as being in a PDF format available on my tablet, and in my Evernote account so that I can have access to it wherever I am the next time I need it.

Preparation! That’s the key!

Wherever you are today I hope that you’re having a good holiday doing whatever it is you do to celebrate!

Don Bergquist – December 24, 2011 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: