Saturday, December 10, 2011

Feeling Festive


There is an axiom that they teach in Dale Carnegie training: “Fake It ‘til You Make It” by which they mean that if you are feeling bad or unenthusiastic about something, try acting like you’re happy about it and work toward getting enthusiastic about it and it will help you out of your funk or help you build your enthusiasm.

I was feeling that way as the holidays approach, not really “into it” not really festive. So I decided to pretend I was one of Santa’s little helpers and just get into the spirit that way. So, with my festive spirit in place (faux as it may have been) I started producing my holiday offerings this year. Every year I do a family calendar – it features photos of the family throughout the year, or at a specific celebration, or as in the case of this year’s calendar, based on the memories of a recently passed relative.

The 2012 calendar is dedicated to the celebration we had back in October. Our family homestead turned 140 this year and we celebrated with friends and family. What a blast! And now, my family will be reminded of it all year long.

It is a lot of work (it usually takes me about a week to put it together and then a couple days of printing and binding) but it is a project I always enjoy doing and one that I always get a lot of positive feedback on. Usually, I get started on it a LOT earlier than this, but with the crazy schedule at work and so I have had to work on a more condensed schedule than I am used to – I have worked on it at least three hours each evening this week after work. I finally have the calendar done and am going to be spending today binding and packing the calendars for shipping. Once I have finished that, I am happy to say that I am feeling festive enough to start writing my Christmas card!

Wherever you are today I hope that you are getting into the holiday spirit!

Don Bergquist – December 10, 2011 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: