Thursday, March 25, 2010

Gotta Love Lakewood!

It was a snow day in Lakewood.

The snow started Tuesday evening around the time the rush hour started in earnest. When Saga and I went out for our last walk we had to contend with about six inches of snow on the ground.

Luckily, I had planned for it and brought my laptop home "just in case." And it came in handy. At 04:30 yesterday morning, the snow was still coming down seriously! I swept well over a foot of snow off the deck and walked through snow that was shin-deep to take Saga out for her morning constitutional.

The snow kept on falling for most of the morning. Then around noon, the snow stopped and the skies started clearing. By 04:30 in the afternoon, when I was packing my PC to take it back to the office, it was a lovely afternoon out.

Other than the few broken branches, and the mounds of snow where the plows and shovelers had dumped them, the evidence of the frosting that the trees had had that morning was all but gone.

But that is what we all love about living in Colorado. We have (for the most part) a lovely climate, punctuated occasionally with inconvenient weather. All afternoon, while reviewing a document on my PC, my eye kept being drawn to what I think of as the dance of the aspens. The aspen trees outside my office window kept shimmying as the snow that was weighing them down melted enough to drop off the branches.

This caused the branches to spring back up, causing the tree to shake a bit. This caused more snow to fall, this caused the trees to shake a bit more. The pattern kept up for a couple hours 'til only a few small snowballs remain clinging in a few of the deeper craws. It's lovely!

Wherever you are today, I hope you're having a lovely day!

Don Bergquist - March 25, 2010 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: